Forum Replies Created
Maybe there’s a MIDI Note filter engaged or MIDI channels are not matched between Ableton and Biscuit (clock messages are sent on all channels).
Go to Biscuit mode (4 + 5 + BRAIN) and check the MIDI filters, specially nr 6, Receive note filter.
Should not flash.
You can also set the right MIDI channel.
Go back to Der OTO mode and check if it’s OK now.
Thru mode have no delay at all, so you can’t modulate the pitch with the LFO (but you can use the lowest RANGE setting in normal delay mode for that).
Thru mode was added only for passing sounds to the BIM 12-bit converters, compander and filters without any delay.
About the flashing TAP switch, you now have an option to select-unselect it.
Yes, the time release is slow for gate -50 and -40 and instantaneous above that.
It’s possible to add a bit of release to the gate parameter above -30 via a firmware upgrade.
Maybe even a release setting on a sub-menu. I will have a look this summer !
How many LEDs you see on the VU meter when you send signal to your BOUM ? 5 to 6 should be a good start
Did you set the IN GAIN parameter to position 2 or more ?
With VU meter at 5-6 LEDs (near 0dB), IN GAIN at 0dB, DISTO in BOOST mode, COMPRESSOR at min position, you should get a clean sound when the DRIVE pot is at its min position. Raising DRIVE pot will add a soft distortion before mid position, then a more drastic one.
If it’s not the case, maybe your BOUM is faulty (contact us via support email).
If you look at the diagram (p. 6 of the User Manual), you can see that the compressor is placed before the distortion generator. After the compressor, you have an amplifier set by the DRIVE pot, followed by the distortion generator (4 modes).
If you want a “clean” compressor sound, select IN GAIN 0 dB, BOOST mode, fast or slow attack, mid to long release, DRIVE under 9 o’clock.
- This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Oto Machines.
Vous pouvez créer un effet de pompe en réglant le potentiomètre COMPRESSOR à midi ou plus, une attaque rapide (1 ou 2) et un release sur 3 ou 4.
Vous pouvez également utiliser l’entrée Sidechain avec les mêmes réglages.
Mais ces réglages dépendent beaucoup du type de sons que vous utiliser et de leur niveau. Vous pouvez obtenir des compressions plus marquées en augmentant le INPUT GAIN.
Sorry for the late reply !
You cannot the filter independently of the Der OTO synth.
THe filter is placed right after the oscillators, and there is no external inputs for the filter.
I guess this is what you’ve figured out.
BAM rev 1.4 was posted today.
It adds the following features :
– CC#18 is now working
– TAP to Pre-delay is working & TAP switch is flashing (TAP to reverb is not working in this revision)
– TAP display on/off
– Thru mode (Pre-Delay, Input Gain, Filters and 16-bit AD/DA conversion)
The definitive BIM rev 1.3 was posted today.
This revision fixes a bug with MIDI Beat Clock in Reverse mode.
A BAM upgrade will be released this week.
It will add the following features :
– CC#18 is working
– TAP to Pre-delay is working & TAP switch is flashing (TAP to reverb will not be fixed in this revision)
– TAP display on/off
– Thru mode
– Maybe a new algo !
A new revision has been posted on the support (still named 1.3).
This revision fix the Display TAP on/off when using MIDI Beat Clock.
The Rev 1.3 manual has been updated with the following statements :
– Reverse : does not work well with MIDI Beat Clock. Please use manual settings or TAP tempo.
– Thru : Rate, Depth and F-Back pots are inactive in this mode.
I’m working on a special revision for users with serial number under 300.
Please contact me directly (support email) if you want to upgrade your BIM and I’ll give you more infos and release date.
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated !
Thru mode has no delay, and you need a small delay if you want to modulate the pitch of a signal (like a vibrato or a chorus pedal). You can use the normal delay FX with the first range selected, but you’ll get something like 15ms of delay.
I think the upgrade didn’t worked properly. Did you try to install it again ?
You can send me an email (support) and I’ll send you the unzipped SysEx file.
Maybe the file was corrupted during the download.
The new firmware for BIM is written, I just need to test it intensively.
It will be posted on the SUPPORT page with the instructions on thursday or friday.
The features of this new revision are now definitive :
– 2 new FXs : Reverse and Thru (input gain, filters and 12-bit conversion but without delay)
– TAP tempo display on or off (setting kept on memory)
– Improvement of the accuracy of TAP tempo, MIDI beat clock and FREEZE. Now FREEZE is almost always in sync (with the technology used in BIM it’s not possible to get FREEZE perfectly synced for a long time, but it’s far better than before). FREEZE was not designed to be a looper, so don’t expect to have a synced loop for 3 minutes !
– Bug fix : Spillover and Aux mode were not working well, espcially after changing the ACTIVE mode parameter or after a preset load
– Bug fix : The TAP switch was not working in “TAP to LFO” or “TAP to Both” modes
– Bug fix : “LFO Division” was not working after a change in setting. Needed to tap the tempo again
– Bug fix : on early BIM units, the delay was out of sync for a short time after a stop and play.
About the FREEZE issue : it seems to be ok with TAP but I also have the issue with MIDI clock. I’ll check that today (I’m finishing the firmware right now).
About panning : I guess that in Prophet-6 (or in a delay plugin with a pan pot) the delay unit “knows” that the input signal is panned left or right because it’s in the same machine. To implement that in BIM, the machine should be able to recognize that the signal is only on the left or on the right channel, which is quite complicated for BIM, sorry ! BIM is mostly a hardwired analog processor, digital is only here for the 12-bit AD & DA conversion and the RAM.
I should release the BIM upgrade this week.
Which serial number is your BIM ?
Did you try monitor “off” on the MIDI track on Live ?
What happens if you select only the CC filter (the first switch is lit and the three other are blinking) ?
Do you have an external MIDI controller or a keyboard that can send CC to test if it works ?
You can listen to the first audio demos of BOUM here :
We are working on a video this week.